|A New Translation (Jewish)|
Steps leading to the preparation of a new translation into the English language were taken by the Jewish Publication Society of America in 1892. It was intended to secure, through cooperation of scholars in the United States and Great Britain, a new translation of each book, and to place it into the hands of an Editorial Committee, who by correspondence with the translators should harmonize the results of the work of the individual contributors. This method was followed until 1901, when it became apparent that by this procedure the translation of the entire Hebrew Bible would be indefinitely delayed. It was too complex to accomplish the required work.
In 1908, JPSA and the Central Conference of American Rabbis agreed upon a revised plan in which the entire work would be done by a Board of Editors. In preparing the manuscript, the Board took into account the existing English versions, the standard commentaries, the other JPSA translations, the Revised Version prepared for the Jews in England, and other sources. Such ancient versions as the Septuagint and those of Aquila, Symmachus, Theodotion, the Targums, the Peshitta, the Vulgate, and the Arabic version of Saadya were also consulted. The manuscript was reviewed by the Board of Editors over a period of seven years. Each point was thoroughly discussed before a decision was finalized.
The aims of this translation were to combine the spirit of Jewish tradition with the results of Biblical scholarship. The text follows Jewish tradition of separating the Scriptures into three divisions, namely: Law (Torah), Prophets (Nebi'im), and Writings (Ketubim).
Jewish Publication Society of America (1917)
[Tyndale House, Cambridge, United Kingdom]
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.
Comparisons which include this version: